The trek in Upper Mustang goes to Lo-Manthang is through high altitude desert country climbing in and out of the huge sided valley of the Kali Gandaki.
Upper Mustang, with topography and culture resembling Tibet has many unique features and attractions. It is an ancient Himalayan Kingdom which lies in the northern central part of Nepal and at the top of the Kaligandaki River. Upper Mustang consists of two distinct regions: the southern part and the northern where the languages, culture and traditions are alike to those of the Tibetan people. The major attraction of Upper Mustang is the walled city of Lo-Manthang.
Upper Mustang was a separate kingdom within Nepal until the time of Monarchy till 2006 and even after the downfall of Monarchy this small Tibetan settlement has the same respect for their King Jigme Paramal Bista. The trek to Lo-Manthang is through high altitude desert country climbing in and out of the huge sided valley of the Kali Gandaki.
Upper Mustang Trek – Itinerary
Day 01: Transfer to the airport and Fly to Jomsom & trek from Jomsom to Kagbeni – 2,800m 3-4 hrs.
Day 02: Trek from Kagbeni to Chele – 3050 m 5-6 hrs.
Day 03: Trek from Chele to Syanbochen – 3475 m 6-7 hrs.
Day 04: Trek from Syanbochen to Ghaymi – 3520 m 5-6 hrs.
Day 05: Trek from Ghaymi to Charang – 3500 m 4-5 hrs.
Day 06: Trek from Charang to Lo-Mangthang – 3700 m 5-6 hrs.
Day 07: Explore Lo-Mangthang.
Day 08: Trek from Lo-Mangthang to Drakmar – 3810 m 6-7 hrs.
Day 09: Trek from Dhakmar to Ghiling – 3806 m 5-6 hrs.
Day 10: Trek from Ghiling to Chhuksang – 3050 m 5-6 hrs.
Day 11: Trek from Chhuksang to Jomsom – 2700 m 6-7 hrs.
Day 12: Fly back to Pokhara.
Cost includes :
- Special protected areas permit First 10 days (inside) US$ 500 per person.
- Annapurna Conservation Area Entrance Permit.
- Pokhara to Jomsom & Jomsom to Pokhara by flight.
- All meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) during the trekking.
- All necessary documentation, entrance permits, TIMS and conservation permits.
- Accommodations at teahouse/lodge in the mountains area.
- An English speaking Trekking Guide.
- A porter shared between two trekkers.
- Travel & Rescue arrangement.
- International airfare
- Nepal Visa fee (US$ 40 per person for 30 days)
- After first 10 days US$ 50 per day per person
- Airport Departure taxes/Excess baggage charges.
- Medical evacuation in case of emergency.
- Personal gears & clothing (available on hire)
- Personal nature expenses such as bar bills, water, laundry, phone call, Tips for Guide/Porters and staff
- All cost incurred due to mishaps, landslide, strikes, political unrest etc. In such case extra will be charged as per actual